One of Jeremiah's go-to appetizers for cocktail hour is this riff on Ina Garten's marinated olives. You likely have most of the ingredients in your pantry—just add fresh citrus and herbs. It's so simple it almost doesn't require a recipe.
- 1 cup of green olives
- 1 cup of black olives
- A few cloves of garlic
- The zest of one orange
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- A few teaspoons of good olive oil
- A few sprigs of fresh herbs, like thyme or rosemary
Drain and rinse the olives. Place them in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Zest one orange and crush a few cloves of garlic. Add the zest and crushed cloves to the bowl with the olives, along with the red pepper, salt, and pepper.
Prepare the herbs, removing stems and roughly chopping the leaves. Add the herbs to the mixture, drizzle the mixture with olive oil, and toss to combine.
Finally, heat the mixture on medium for 5 minutes to infuse all of the flavors. Enjoy!